Fishing is one of the most exciting activities. The thought of a sumptuous fish meal, later on, makes it even more exciting. Fishing is done in many different environments. You can fish in, pools, rivers, lakes, and seas. You can also fish in ice and mud pools. All these environments require that you have the right fishing tools, to have a productive a fruitful fishing session. Among the most important fishing gear is fishing shoes. Having the best fishing shoes while kayaking is crucial. Their immediate purpose is to ensure you remain safe through your kayak fishing activities. Fishing environments are always wet and slippery. You could easily fall and get injured or drown.
The number of people who go fishing today is very high, and so is the demand for fishing regalia. Fishing shoes are being made and bought everywhere today. There are many types of fishing shoes for the boat today, as different manufacturers move in to cash on the prevailing boom.
Not all fishing shoes are the same. Some are more effective than others. Others are even substandard. You don’t want to spend money and still get a shoe that puts in harm’s way. You may not know what entails a good fishing shoe though. How are you supposed to know which one is the best? Worry not! We are here to help!
Best 14 Fishing Shoes for Kayaking
1. Columbia Men’s Bahama Vent PFG
We kick off with the Columbia PFG Bahama fishing shoes. These are made of leather and have a rubber sole. The rubber soles make them non-slippery, which is the primary feature required on a fishing shoe. The shoe is slip-one. You put it on or take it off with ease. It has vents, which make it self-draining. You don’t have to take it off to drain water. You do not have to grapple with water in your shoes either. The vents allow proper airflow too. This will give you peace of mind and allow you to concentrate on your fishing activities. The shoe has good traction on the deck and on land too. It comes with fitted with a Techlite midsole that has superior cushioning.
- The shoe is made of a leather material
- It has a rubber sole
- It is fitted with a Techlite insole
- It has draining and airflow vents
- The slip design is very convenient. You can easily put on and take off the shoe.
- The shoes are very attractive
- They are comfy. The insole has ample cushioning
- They come in a variety of colors. You can choose your favorite color
- The vents help to conveniently drain the shoes and allow ample airflow to prevent smelly feet.
- The shoe lacks mesh. They are, therefore likely to get smelly in a short while.
- The shoe has no laces. It, therefore, lacks customizability
- The elasticity of the shoes wears off with time
The Columbia PFG Bahama shoes are a fantastic option for your fishing adventures and any other wet environments. Many people who have used them before vouch for them too. They are comfy, and they have razor tract and very firm grip on the wet surfaces. You are bound to have a productive fishing experience with this pair of shoes. You can choose your favorite color so that you don’t look like everyone else too. That’s amazing! The Columbia PFG Bahama Fishing Shoes should be among your options when you go looking for a fishing shoe next.
2. Sperry Top-Sider Sojourn Leather Boat Shoe Men’s
The Sperry Top-Sider is a pair of all-around shoes. They can be a great option for your fishing requirements. The shoe is all-leather and has a rubber outsole. It is a 2-eyed laced shoe. It is therefore easily customizable to fit many people. The non-marking and wave-sipping shoe deliver a firm grip on wet surfaces and incredible traction. It is fitted with a shock absorbing EVA insole, that will keep your leg comfortable and pressure-free.
- The shoes are made of premium genuine leather.
- It has a rubber outsole
- It has an EVA insole
- The sole is non-marking and wave-sipping
- The shoes come in a very durable construction
- They have comfy shock absorbing insoles. They will keep pressure away from your feet.
- The shoe grips firmly on wet surfaces and have good traction
- The laced designed makes it easy to customize the shoe
- The opening of the shoe is narrow. Putting on the shoe feels tedious.
The Sperry Top-Sider is a top of the fishing shoe. The shoe guarantees you long service. Wet environment damage shoes very quickly. You do not want to be buying a new shoe now and then. This shoe has ultimate durability. Its traction is almost unrivaled too. It could easily turn out to be one of the best bass fishing shoes we have in the review.
The Columbia Drainmaker pair of shoes is very uniquely designed. It has an open-mesh design all through. It is fitted with a front to-protective bumper. It also comes with a single pull lacing design. It has a rubber sole that delivers the much-needed firm grip and ample traction on wet surfaces. The collar is well padded to provide comfort to your ankles. The outsole has vents for quick self-draining.
- The shoe is open-meshed all through
- It has a toe-protective bumper
- It has a single pull lace design
- It comes with a well-padded collar
- The sole is made of rubber
- The shoes have very good traction
- The open-design ensures your shoe is well aerated and dry quickly when it gets wet
- The protective-bumper ensure your toes are kept out of harm’s way
- The shoe is extremely lightweight
- The water draining holes are large. They let in sand and pebbles which might bruise your feet.
The Columbia Drainmaker seem like the ultimate pair of fishing shoes. It is designed to be specifically used in wet environments. It has ample waterways to ensure the water leaves your shoe as fast as it came in. All its systems are set to ensure you can move easily and remain comfortable while working on wet surfaces. These shoes are some of the best shoes for fishing in the rain.
4. Sebago Men’s Docksides Boat Shoe
The Sebago Dockside B72742 is a pair of all-leather shoes. The shoes come with a tough rubber outsole. These are made to last longer than you would expect a shoe to last in wet environments. They come in a laced 2-eyed design. Unlike many shoes in this design, these are easy to slip in and take off.
- The shoes have heavy-duty leather construction
- The shoes have double brass lace-eyes
- The shoe has tough rubber bottom sole
- They have a wide opening
- The shoes are very durable
- The lace design is easy to customize
- The shoes have a smooth, attractive finish
- The shoes are easy to put on and take off
- The shoes are very stiff due to the heavy-duty leather. They might feel uncomfortable or end up bruising your feet.
The Sebago Dockside is an all-around pair of shoes that can be used for many activities. It is a great option for fishing too. Its durability and ease of putting on and taking off are amazing. The rubber sole is tough and grips firmly on wet surfaces. The shoes could use some padding on the inside though. The leather fell too stiff. Nevertheless, it would be a great option if you don’t want to keep buying fishing shoes now and then. This could be the best shoes for rock fishing.
5. ALEADER Men’s Quick Drying Aqua Water Shoes
The Aleader fishing shoes are designed to dry up very quickly and ensure your feet are adequately aerated. The whole upper part of the shoe is made of a mesh fabric. The shoe has a soft rubber sole and a solyte midsole. It is an extremely lightweight shoe. The shoe drains off and dries up very fast. The bottom sole has bounce-back that gives more traction while moving.
- The shoe is made of a fabric
- The shoe has a rubber sole
- It has a solyte midsole
- The rubber sole has bounce-back
- The fabric mesh design allows the shoe to drain water and dry up very fast
- The mesh fabric feels very comfy
- The bounce-back on the sole promotes your traction
- The fabric used is very durable
- The shoe will let in sand and pebbles which might bruise your foot.
The Aleader fishing shoes are a great option. They have a simple fabric mesh design. They also feel comfy. The price is also bound to be very favorable. They will expose your feet to too much water, but the water will drain out fast from the shoe. It is a great option for fishing if you’re on a tight budget. Your feet are also less likely to smell to smell or get sore with this shoe.
6. Dreamcity Women’s Water Shoes
The Dreamcity Athletic pair of shoes is largely made of a mesh fabric. It is fitted with a soft rubber sole that grips firmly on wet surfaces. The mesh design allows the shoe to be breathable and drain out water very fast. It is fitted with the very comfortable and lightweight solyte midsole. The bottom rubber sole has an excellent bounce-back capability. This helps cushion your feet from the impact of stepping hard. It also helps you with traction.
- The shoe has an open-mesh design in the upper part
- It is made of 90% fabric
- It has a rubber sole
- It has a solyte midsole
- The rubber sole has bounce-back.
- The shoe drains and dries up very fast.
- The fabric used is very durable
- The mesh design allows your foot to breath
- The shoe is extremely lightweight
- The shoe will let in pebbles and sand. This can be a real nuisance.
The Dreamcity Athletic is yet another pair of shoes appropriate for extremely wet environments. It delivers good traction and comfort. It will expose your feet to the water too much though. It is a great option for fishing. The sole is non-slip, and it is very lightweight. It is yet another budget shoe too. It is a great option for your fishing expeditions if you are on a compressed budget.
7. Rugged Shark Men’s Atlantic Classic Casual Boat Shoe
The Rugged Shark is yet another pair of top of the range boating shoes. The shoe is also designed to be very durable. It comes with ample cushioning to ensure your feet remain very comfortable. It has an inbuilt drainage system that completely drains the water out of the shoe. The shoe also has mesh openings that make it breathable. It is shock-absorbing and cushions your feet from the impact of heavy steeping. It comes with a durable leather construction.
- The shoe has a leather construction
- It comes with an inbuilt drainage system
- The shoe is fully cushioned
- It has mesh openings
- The shoe comes in a laced 3-eyed design
- The shoe is very well-cushioned. It protects your foot from all sorts of impacts
- The drainage system allows the shoe to dry up fast
- The open mesh allows ample airflow that prevents smelly feet
- The shoe has a crisp and attractive finish.
- The shoe has a very narrow opening. Putting it on might feel tedious.
The Rugged Shark is an all-around shoe, that is designed for wet environments, but can be used in many other scenarios. It is comfy and has amazing traction. This shoe is among the ultimate fishing shoes. You will feel safer and more at ease with this shoe on. The cushioning in the shoe is like no other. Your foot is well protected from impacts and stepping pressure. The leather construction has an attractive finish, and it is very durable. This is arguably one of the best boat shoes for fishing that we have in the review.
8. Under Armour Men’s Kilchis Sneaker
The Under ArmourKilchis is a fantastic pair of shoes, with a simple, elegant yet very effective design. The shoe is made of a combination of textile and synthetic materials to deliver durability and ample comfort. The shoe comes with a rubber sole, that has good traction, and it is non-slip. The shoe has a mesh design that allows it to be highly breathable and to dry quickly. It comes with welded synthetic overlays to protect your foot from abrasions.
- The shoe is made of textile and synthetic materials
- It has a non-marking rubber sole
- It has mesh openings that make it highly breathable
- The textile material is quick dry
- The shoe dries up very quickly
- It has a quick draining system
- It has a synthetic coating that protects your foot from abrasion
- The non-marking rubber sole has a firm grip on wet surfaces
- The midsole is contoured for rapid drainage
- The shoe has large openings that will let in the sand. This can be very uncomfortable. The sand grains can be abrasive too.
The Under ArmourKilchis shoes do not seem to disappoint in any way, as far as fishing shoes are concerned. These fly fishing waders have a firm grip on wet surfaces, and the traction is amazing. The shoe also drains out and dries up very quickly. All these are desirable features on any fishing shoe. Its reviews on Amazon are also quite encouraging. The large opening with expose your feet to the water too much, and possibly let in some sand pebbles though. This does not seem to be much of a concern to many people though.
9. Dockers Men’s Castaway Boat Shoe
Dockers are one of the most popular brands of shoes. This castaway fishing shoe model does not fall short of anything. It is a full heavy-duty leather construction shoe. It has a laced three-eye design. The lace is made of leather too. It cannot break easily. Commonly used wool laces break up after a short while when used in wet fishing environments. The shoe has a rubber sole, and the front of it has a moc-toe loafer design. The collar of the shoe is fully cushioned to ensure your ankles remain very comfy.
- The shoe has a full leather construction
- It has a rubber sole
- It is a full cushioned collar
- It comes in a laced 3-eye design
- The leather used is high-density hence very strong and durable
- The cushioned collar protects your ankles
- The rubber sole has a firm grip on wet surfaces
- The shoe delivers ample traction
- The lace design makes it easy to customize the shoe.
- The heavy-duty leather makes the shoe very stiff. It might feel uncomfortable to some people.
The quality of Dockers shoes cannot be called into question. This shoe delivers the same expected high quality and effectiveness in its mandate. The leather material is heavy-duty and does not get wet. The shoe has great traction, and it is non-slip. You can expect it to last for longer too. It may feel too stiff, but this is compensated by the shoe’s durability. All these are hallmarks of a great fishing shoe. This shoe should not miss at the top of your list of options.
10. Columbia PFG Men’s Bahama Vent PFG Boat Shoe
We have yet another pair of fishing shoes from the Columbia Bahama series. This one has a casual canvas construction. It comes with the signature features of the Columbia Bahama shoes. The sole has vents that make it breathable and allows it to drain water fast. It has a slip-on design that makes it easy to put on or take off. The sole is non-marking and has razor sipping. It, therefore, grips firmly onto the wet surfaces. The shoe is fitted with a Techlite midsole, which is impact-absorbing.
- The upper part of the shoe is made of a canvas material
- The shoe has a rubber sole
- It has a Techlite midsole
- The sole has vents for airflow and drainage
- The Techlite midsole is very impact-absorbing
- The shoe is easy to put on and take off
- The shoe has a very comfy feel
- It drains water quite fast
- The shoe is difficult to customize
- Its elasticity wears off with time, and it starts to feel loose.
The Columbia Bahama canvas shoe is almost similar to its sibling on the review. The shoe is a great option since its lightweight, durable and feels comfy. It also has a firm grip on wet surfaces and has good traction. All these are features that are favorable to a fishing set. This shoe should not miss on your list of options.
The Hodgman Neoprene is a boot design fishing shoe. It has a 3.5mm neoprene material that allows no water in. It also has a cuffing system at the top, that ensures no water gets to your feet. It comes with a YKK double zipper that fastens it to hug your ankle tightly. The outsole is made of tough rubber, and it has a toe protection bumper.
- The shoes upper part consists of a 3.5 mm neoprene material
- It has cuff adjustment at the upper heel
- It comes with a YKK double zipper
- The outsole is made of rubber
- The sole is non-slip
- The shoe will not let in water
- It feels very comfy
- It has good traction
- The shoe has no breathability. You are more likely to suffer smelly feet with this boot
If you dread water reaching your feet, this is the kind of fishing boot you need. It will ensure no water gets to your feet. This boot has great traction and firmness too. The only challenge is your feet will be deprived of any aeration. You cannot wear the shoe for a very long duration. Nevertheless, it is a fantastic option for navigating the fishing environments. This shoe is among the best fishing boots.
12. Tommy Hilfiger Men’s Bowman Boat Shoe
This review would be incomplete if it missed a shoe from the Tommy Hilfiger brand. This is a worldwide renowned brand of shoes. The Bowman shoe is one of their best models, that can be used as a fishing shoe. The shoe has 100% leather constructions. It has a two-eyed laced design, with the lacing running 360 degrees around the collar. The lace is a trip of rawhide. The shoe is very durable and will handle wet environments with ease.
- The shoe has 100% leather construction
- It has a 2-eyed lacing design
- The lace runs 30 degrees around the collar
- The lace is a strip of raw animal hide
- This shoe is very durable
- It has very good traction
- It grips very firmly onto wet surfaces
- It has a crisp and attractive finish
- The shoe might feel very stiff. The leather is heavy-duty and hard.
The appearance of the Tommy Hilfiger Bowman shoe on the list is banked in its durability. It could arguably be the most durable shoe in the review. It does not fall any short in the other features too. All the features point towards a very effective fishing shoe. It is most certainly one of the best fishing shoes we have in the review.
13. Aleader Men’s Mesh Slip On Water Shoes
We have yet another Aleader fishing shoe. This slip-on shoe comes in a simple full mesh design. It is made of fabric and has a rubber sole. The rubber sole has water draining vents and delivers ample traction. It grips firmly on to surfaces too. The open mesh design allows ample airflow too. The shoe is fitted with a solyte midsole that is very comfy and lightweight.
- The upper part of the shoe is made of fabric
- It is a fully open mesh design
- It has a rubber sole
- It has a solyte midsole
- The shoe has ample traction and grip on wet surfaces
- The fully open mesh design allows it to drain water and dry up quickly
- The solyte midsole is very comfy
- the shoe is easy to put on and take off
- The open mesh design lets in sand pebbles. The sand pebbles can bruise your foot.
The Aleader Full Mesh shoe is designed to allow you to conveniently handle a wet environment. It has no putting on or taking off hassles. You just slip your foot in. You can step on any surface as the shoe will hold on firmly. All its features are geared towards ensuring you have a convenient distraction-free fishing session. It might let in sand pebbles though. It will have your feet exposed to the water at all times too. Nevertheless, it is an effective fishing shoe, and many people don’t seem to mind about such issues.
14. Speedo Men’s Seaside Lace 4.0 Water Shoe
Lastly, we feature the Speedo Seaside fishing shoes. It would be a shame to complete the review without a shoe from the speedo brand. Speedo brand of shoes is very popular and renowned for their quality. The Seaside model comes full mesh and synthetic sole construction. It has a webbing lace design and a quick adjusting bungee strap. The 5-trac outsoles deliver great traction and a firm grip on various wet surfaces.
- The shoe has a full mesh design
- The shoe has a synthetic sole
- It features webbing lacing
- It has quick adjusting bungee straps
- The shoe has good traction
- It has a grip on various surfaces
- The shoe feels very comfy
- It drains fast and allows ample air flow
- The shoe has a small opening. It might be a challenge to put it on or take it off.
The Speedo seaside fishing shoes have great performance and are durable. They deliver great traction firmness and comfort. The outsole has an effective drainage system that ensures the shoe dries up quickly. The mesh design does not hold water either. The webbing lacing design holds in place tighter than many other designs. The webbing design makes putting the shoe on and taking it off a bit tedious though. That should not be a concern if the shoe has great performance.
Best Fishing Shoes – Buyer’s Guide
We have looked at the respective features of various fishing shoes available in the market. You are most likely now in a better position to choose the best-suited fishing shoe to your circumstances. Before settling on either of them, you need to consider several factors. These factors include;
It’s common knowledge that you can only use a shoe if it can fit you well. The shoes come in different size. The fishing shoe needs to be the right size for it to serve you well.
Wet environments tend to be very slippery. You need to have a shoe with a well-contoured sole to ensure you don’t slip and fall. Rubber is a great material for shoe soles. It has a firm grip even on wet surfaces. Your safety should always come first.
The durability of the shoes is informed by the materials used to make it. Leather and textile fabric are the main materials used in making fishing shoes. Wetness makes shoes wear out faster than normal. The shoe you get should, therefore, have a material that can withstand such demanding wet environments.
The drainage system of the shoe is important. You don’t want a shoe that keeps your feet in water all the time. They should be able to drain the water out immediately it gets into the shoe.
A good fishing shoe should also have great airflow. The airflow is enhanced by vents or mesh panels. These prevent the foot from becoming smelly. Wet shoes without enough air flow through then can become very stinky.
Price is always the ultimate determinant of the shoe you get. Take time to compare the features of the different types of fishing shoes and find out which has the most value for your money.
The review above would be a resourceful tool when looking for a fishing shoe, and you don’t know what a great one entails. It puts you in a better position to make an informed choice. It is a very lengthy review though. You most likely cannot remember all the details in it. As such, below is a comparison table of the various fishing shoes featured on the review.