If you still believe that kayaks are only meant for adventure sports, you could not be more wrong. Kayaks are amazingly versatile in nature. They can even be used as fishing boats. The best thing about these fishing kayaks is that they are less expensive and more environmentally friendly than their counterparts – motorized kayaks. You can even modify these kayaks to make them even more angler-friendly. What is even more interesting to note is the fact is that some of these kayaks are now being designed specifically to cater to the needs of the anglers. These fishing kayaks also have provisions to accommodate fishing rods and other fishing accessories.
Now just because you have a passion for angling does not mean that you will have to spend a fortune on a fishing kayak. There are a number of fishing kayaks available in the market that you can get your hands on without burning a hole in your pocket. To help you out, here we have listed some of the best fishing kayaks under 500 USD so that you can make a better buying decision.
- 1 Best 5 Fishing Kayaks Under $500
- 1.1 1. Sevylor Coleman Colorado 2-Person Fishing Kayak
- 1.2 2. Sun Dolphin Journey 10-Foot Sit-on-top Fishing Kayak
- 1.3 3. Emotion 90259 Renegade XT Fishing Kayak
- 1.4 4. Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100 Fishing Kayak
- 1.5 5. Sun Dolphin Excursion 10-Foot Sit-in Fishing Kayak
- 2 Fishing Kayak Buying Guide
- 3 Fishing Kayaks FAQ
Best 5 Fishing Kayaks Under $500
Affiliate Disclaimer: This site is reader-supported and we earn commissions (at no additional cost to you) if you purchase products from retailers after clicking on a link from our site.
Hate fishing alone? Well, in that case, you need to get your hands on Sevylor Coleman Colorado 2-Person Fishing Kayak. As the name suggests, this is a 2-person kayak. So, have a blast with your best buddy in the next fishing expedition.
As you have already guessed, this is an inflatable kayak but that does not mean it can’t withstand rough weather or impacts from underwater objects. Nope, it has got thick tarpaulin bottom that protects its sharp edges of underwater objects and its tough nylon cover gives it the required strength.
There are a number of discrete air chambers included in it and they eliminate the risk of sinking. In case, Sevylor Coleman Colorado 2-Person Fishing Kayak develops a puncture, you don’t have to worry about it because it is going to affect only a single chamber. Several other discreet chambers are there to save your day in such a situation. You can make it safely back to the shore.
Paddle holders come attached with Sevylor Coleman Colorado 2-Person Fishing Kayak and that means, you can enjoy fishing without worrying about attending the paddles. Maximum weight capacity of this kayak stands at 470 pounds which is more than enough for 2 paddlers.
Speed is definitely a major concern for this kayak. However, this can be easily compensated by attaching a trolling motor.
- Allows hands-free paddling.
- Can handle wavy conditions and stays stable under moderate conditions.
- Enough storage compartment is available to store all your gears.
- Multiple air chambers are available.
- It is quite slow. Paddling would not take you far.
- Center rod holder does interfere with the movability of the boat.
Flexible and easy to carry around, Sun Dolphin Journey 10-Foot Sit-on-top Fishing Kayak is a popular choice those who want to get a lot of bang for their buck. Just 11 inches in height, this fishing kayak is 10 feet in length and has almost all the features that a premium fishing kayak usually has. It has paddle holders, thigh pads, ample storage space, shock cord, a swivel rod holder, adjustable seats, foot braces and many more.
Made from extremely durable, high-density and UV-stabilized Fortiflex polyethylene, Sun Dolphin Journey 10-Foot Sit-on-top Fishing Kayak has a maximum weight capacity of 250 pounds which is more than enough for an average American kayaker. As this is a sit-on-top kayak, it has ample space available in the cockpit. So, that means, you can carry as many fishing equipment you want without adversely affecting the stability of the boat.
- The carrying handles are retractable in nature. Moreover, these carry handles are extremely lightweight and that means, they can be carried around easily and effortlessly.
- Sun Dolphin Journey 10-Foot Sit-on-top Fishing Kayak is ideal for rivers and lakes.
- If you love hands-free trolleying, you are going to love this kayak. It has got a swivel rod holder and 2 other general rod holders. That means you will be in a position to control the kayak with the oars.
- The dry storage compartment is there to keep electronic items safe and secure. There is also an option to tow the stuff along.
- A little snug for a large guy.
- Has some issues with the scuppers. Some buyers have complained that the scuppers are letting in too much water. However, the company has probably fixed this issue.
- A little bit tippy in nature.
Emotion 90259 Renegade XT Fishing Kayak is large enough to accommodate big guys without making any kind of compromise on the stability front. This sit-on-top fishing kayak comes with a large tank well and that means you can take your dog with you while fishing. You can also take all your fishing gears with you as there is enough space available on the boat.
The seat is extremely comfortable and that means, you can fish all day without hurting your back. The seat is also removable in nature which is good. You can use Solace Hatch to fully utilize the below deck storage. Emotion 90259 Renegade XT Fishing Kayak is made in the USA and that means, you don’t have to worry about its quality at all. It can perform in almost all conditions.
To drain the water out easily, Emotion has incorporated scupper holes in it. It is extremely stable and since is made of high-density polyethylene, it will last long, really long. This is a single person kayak and it can be dragged to the water without requiring an extra pair of hands. We personally believe, 2 flush mount rod holders are more than enough for all your fishing needs.
- Emotion 90259 Renegade XT Fishing Kayak does not tip that easily and thereby making it ideal for newbies.
- It is extremely durable.
- The width of the kayak is more than enough for all the large guys out there. Lanky people can also get into this fishing kayak easily without feeling claustrophobic.
- It has got a lot of free space to keep your fishing gears safe and secure. If you wish, you can place a cooler in it.
- The bottom is flat and therefore, the kayak might not track well. But if you add a kayak skeg, it can track well.
- Sometimes, it gets to turn over in windy conditions.
Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100 Fishing Kayak has got a flat bottom that adds to its otherwise impressive stability. No matter whether you are an average American male or a big guy, Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100 Fishing Kayak has got you covered. With multiple footrest positions, this fishing kayak is suitable for all.
Durable and lightweight, Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100 Fishing Kayak tracks really well on water. It can easily stand lake waves. Windy weather should not be an issue at all. You can even stand on it and it would not lose its stability unless you are doing something really silly. Made from UV-protected high-density Polyethylene, Lifetime Tamarack Angler 100 Fishing Kayak can easily withstand the scratches from gravel and rocks.
It can handle as much as 275 pounds which is remarkable for a fishing boat. The seat is really comfy and offers ample support to the back. You can use shock cord straps to secure your fishing gears as there is ample deck space available.
- It has got multiple rod holders which is convenient for most paddlers.
- Multiple foot braces ease the problem of lanky people.
- It has got a dry storage compartment where you can keep all your gears safe.
- Speed is definitely a concern with this fishing boat.
- The seat is not that much comfortable. You might have to purchase extra padding.
Ideal for river fishing trip, Sun Dolphin Excursion 10-Foot Sit-in Fishing Kayak is extremely lightweight in nature and therefore, it can be carried around easily. Padded seats are included for additional comfort and there is enough space available in the cockpit to accommodate the adjustable foot braces. Rod holders are included to store your fishing rods safely.
It is made from High-Density Polyethylene and the material is also UV stabilize which is an added advantage. Sun Dolphin Excursion 10-Foot Sit-in Fishing Kayak is actually ideal for cold temperature. You will stay dry most of the time while paddling in it and the credit goes it its unique sitting position. Both the seats and the foot braces can be adjusted easily and the thigh pads will keep your thigh protected.
- Lifting this fishing kayak out of the water is itself somewhat challenging. It probably has something to do with the molding of the seat.
- The storage is rather small and that means, you can’t carry all your fancy fishing gears.
- Not suitable for big guys.
- It tracks really well on still water.
- It offers maximum level of stability which is more than what a person can ask for at this price point.
- It has a large and open cockpit.
- Its high back seat offers all the comfort that you want in a challenging fishing trip.
Fishing Kayak Buying Guide
We understand that you can spend $500 max on a fishing kayak but does not mean that you should settle for something less. Factors like – stability, durability and prices should be taken into consideration while choosing a fishing kayak under $500 but there are some other factors that you should not overlook.
Here are some 4 other factors that you need to carefully consider before buying a fishing kayak under $500 –
1. Level of Comfort
Do you want to spend hours on a kayak seat that makes your back hurt badly? Of course, you will hate the idea and which is why you need to make sure that the seat is comfortable and has padding. And just having padding is not enough, you need to make sure that there are rooms for adjustments. If you are a big guy, take a look at the footrests first. The footrests should accommodate large feet otherwise you will have a hard time out there fishing all alone.
2. Weight capacity
People tend to ignore the obvious fact that the weight of an average healthy male or female is increasing steadily. Moreover, as we age, we tend to gain more weight and which is why you need to be extra careful while selecting a fishing kayak. Take a good look at its maximum weight capacity. Take into account the combined weight of other equipment and fishing accessories that you might bring along and then make a decision.
3. Storage Accessibility
Extra storage compartment means nothing if you can’t access those accessories that easily while fishing on a kayak. To get a good catch, you need to have quicker access to all your fishing tools Opening hidden compartment one by one while trying to catch fish can only end in disaster. So, while choosing a fishing kayak, you need to take a look at this storage factor before making a final decision.
4. Deck space
Without having a sizeable deck space, you might have a hard time moving your body freely. Anglers are in the habit of carrying too many equipment with them and that means, you will have a hard time keeping them organized and which is why you need to find a fishing kayak that has enough deck space available.